Sunday, November 4, 2007

Bee Yourself

Hello! I realize that I did not sufficiently explain my blog, or why I titled it "Gigantic Drum Kit." I am a big fan of escapism, using movies and books and songs to elevate an otherwise dull day, and it was through this process that my world was eventually shaped. As Rob Gordon said "it's what you like, not what you are like." I once played a drinking game with some friends, one of the rules being, if you quote something or talk about a movie, tv show, or character from either medium, you have to drink; it took me less than thirty minutes to get sloppy. Before you write me off as a couch potato loser, think of it this way: if I sat around quoting Shakespeare would that make me pathetic? No it would make me erudite and a little pretentious, like the guy that stays home secretly memorizing the Trivial Pursuit cards to impress people when an actual game occurs. You know who you are. Sometimes I do quote Shakespeare, but not nearly as much as I quote Arrested Development, because, sorry William, the latter is way funnier. So, how does this relate to a big drum kit? Nick Andopolis from "Freaks and Geeks" (R.I.P.), played by the amazing Jason Segel (love him), was always playing the drums, and he had this gigantic drum kit that he spent years perfecting. It represented everything he was and wanted to be. My favorite thing in life, my passion,-my gigantic drum kit-is pop culture, specifically movies, tv, music and books. Those are the things that really matter to me, aside from family, friends, blah blah blah. I do my best to keep up with important current events (there's a war going on now right?*), but I would rather read The Onion than watch CNN. I also love food, but I would not be comfortable emparting wisdom on the subject, seeing as I am still very much a novice myself. Nick enjoyed other parts of life, but the drums were his raison d'etre, and even though he wasn't that great, it didn't stop him from being Neil Pert or John Bonham, even if it was only for an hour in his garage. Speaking of pretending you're a rock star in your garage, just rediscovered Weezer's Blue Album. I hadn't listened to it in a long time because it reminded me too much of my sixth grade self (not a good year for me, or anyone really...), but it's really amazing. If you are avoiding it for similar reasons, pick it up again, you can handle it. Now I am off to watch Jason Segel in How I Met Your Mother!-Blythe

Quick List
Bee Movie- Cannot recommend it enough, so so good. Make a beeline for the theater, take your honey, play the Hives on the way over to pump yourselves up!

11/4 Family Guy(s)
At first I was disappointed by a clip show but with Seth McFarlane there (I adore you, by the way), and the fact that all those clips were fucking hilarious, it turend out to be better than I could have imagined. New episode, also great. Favorite Scenes:

douchebags did to guitars
Ringo writes a song, John puts it on the fridge

Simpson's Halloween
They've done better, but I still laughed. Even at their worst they are still superior to most.

3 comments:

GiganticDrumKit said...

Sorry, I meant to say "It's what you like, not what you are like." Clearly I need to proofread more, still learning, still learning

Rachel said...

That post made me smile. It was very you. Well done.

Also, did you know you can edit your posts after you publish them? If you're signed into blogger while looking at your blog, you'll see a little pencil by the time stamp of your entries. If you click that, you can edit your posts. Just click "publish post" when you're finished.

I've deemed myself your blog godmother. I hope that's ok. And I hope it's ok I'm going to comment annoyingly long comments on every one of your posts. #1 BIGGEST FAN!

Warriors Undefeated said...

honey just got funny